Carers Information Pack

Your Home

Feeling safe, comfortable and secure in your home is essential to your quality of life and the quality of life for the person you care for. This information sheet covers the following housing-related areas affecting carers:

  • housing in Southwark
  • special needs accommodation
  • support via Supporting People
  • help with housing costs
  • other housing issues

Housing in Southwark

Southwark has a severe shortage of local authority homes to rent. Most of the council’s properties are flats above ground floor level on estates. Very few properties have gardens and larger properties are in very short supply. It is important that if you have special requirements that mean you need to move or have your home adapted, you make these known to the Housing Advice Service when you contact them.

The Housing Advice Service provides specialist advice and help to people who have housing issues. They can offer advice and assistance with issues like:

  • renting from private landlords
  • long and short term hostels
  • registering for council housing
  • moving to a new home in another part of the country
  • application for sheltered housing
  • referrals to other voluntary and statutory agencies for assistance eg. homelessness service, connexions etc…

If you think you are homeless or going to be homeless within 28 days, call Southwark Homesearch on 020 7525 5950.

You can also visit your Housing Officer at your local One Stop Shop / MySouthwark Customer Service Point.

Special Needs Accomodation

There are a number of options available if you are elderly or you or the person you care for has a disability.

The Home Improvement Agency deliver essential adaptations and repairs to vulnerable private tenants and homeowners and assistance to maximise your income.

The Housing Adaptations team can deliver adaptations to your property if you are a disabled council tenant. What help you receive will depend on the recommendation of an occupational therapist (OT). Contact the OT teams on 020 7525 3324 to find out what help may be available.

Supporting People

Supporting People services help many people with different needs. Housing related support helps people using the service remain as independent as possible. Housing related support includes helping people to:

  • manage their money
  • get training or employment
  • develop domestic or social skills
  • address health issues
  • keep safe

Housing related services provided in Southwark do not include services such as personal care, for instance cooking, washing, dressing, day care, or transport. These are arranged by social workers via a needs assessment.

Supporting people services are delivered in hostels, supported housing and sheltered housing, as well as directly to people in their own homes. This type  of service is called floating support.

Help with Housing Costs

Housing benefit

Housing benefit is paid by local authorities to people on low income to help with the cost of rented accommodation.

If you pay a mortgage you cannot get housing benefit, but you might qualify for help with interest payments through Income support. Information and claim forms are available from your local One Stop Shop or MySouthwark Customer Service Point.

Council tax benefit

If you are on a low income, employed or unemployed you may be eligible for a payment of up to 100% of your council tax bill. Contact your MySouthwark Customer Service Point or One Stop Shop for details.

In addition, If you live with the person you care for you might be able to get a discount on your council tax.

Staying warm

People aged 60 or over qualify for the Winter Fuel Payment. In 2016, persons aged between 60 and 79 qualify for a payment of either £100 or £200 and the over 80s of between £150 and £300 depending on their circumstances.

This annual payment is made automatically if you receive a state retirement pension.

The Cold Weather Payment is a smaller sum (£25 in 2014) which is automatically paid to certain people in receipt of benefits during periods of very cold weather.

If you are in receipt of benefits you may be entitled to a grant from the Warm Front team to improve the energy efficiency of your property.

Southwark Pensioner’s Centre run an advice service for the over 60s.

Other housing issues

Repairs to your council home

The easiest way of finding out which repair you need is by using the Reporting your Repair online tool.

In general, the council are only responsible for maintaining the structure and outside of your home and installations for water, electricity, gas and drainage inside your home. They are also responsible for some repairs outside your home, including shared areas in blocks or on estates, lifts, entry phones and rubbish chutes.

If something needs mending in your council home, please call the council’s 24-hour housing repairs helpline. The freephone number is 0800 952 4444.

Disputes and threats

If you are a council tenant involved in a serious dispute with a neighbour, contact your MySouthwark Customer Service Point. Private tenants can obtain advice on a range of tenancy matters from the Tenancy Relations Service.

The Southwark Mediation Centre can help to resolve disputes with neighbours and landlords.

If you are experiencing racial harassment contact the Victim Support Unit. If you concerned about domestic violence, racist or homophobic crime contact the Community Safety Unit at Walworth Police Station - 020 7232 6195


If you suffer from noise problems where you live, contact the council’s 24-hour Noise Team.

Safety and security

Many people on low income can get locks and bolts fitted to their doors or windows through the free Lockfitting Scheme, run by Victim Support Southwark.

Further Information


Peckham MySouthwark customer service point - 122 Peckham Hill Street, London SE15 5JR 

Walworth MySouthwark customer service point - 376 Walworth Road, London SE17 2NG


Independent Age – Provide information and advice on care homes and related issues - 0800 319 6789

Elderly Accommodation Counsel - Information and advice on all forms of accommodation for older people – 0800 377 7070

The Relatives and Residents Association - Provide advice on sheltered and residential accommodation – 020 7359 8148

Find us

Southwark Carers
3rd Floor, Walworth Methodist Church,
54 Camberwell Road, London, SE5 0EW
View map and directions

Contact us

020 7708 4497

Find us

Nearest tube: Elephant & Castle underground station (Northern and Bakerloo lines).

Nearest Railway Station: Elephant & Castle

Buses from Elephant and Castle: ask bus driver for Burgess Park. Bus numbers: 12, 171, 148, 176, 68, 484, 42, 40, 45