Other responsibilities

Update property records when someone dies

How you update the property records when someone dies depends on whether they were the joint or sole owner of a property.

Check the property records if you don’t know:

  • who owns a property
  • whether it’s owned jointly or solely

When a joint owner dies

When a joint owner of a property dies, fill in form DJP to remove their name from the register.

Send the completed form to HM Land Registry, along with an official copy of the death certificate.

When a sole owner dies

When the sole owner of a property has died, the property is normally transferred to either:

  • the person inheriting the property (known as ‘the beneficiary’)
  • a third party, for example someone buying the property

If you transfer to a beneficiary

To transfer a property to a beneficiary, download and fill in the following forms:

You must also send:

  • the original or an official copy of the grant of probate or letters of administration
  • the Stamp Duty Land Tax certificate or self-certificate for the property (if appropriate)
  • a fee – check the fee calculator

The beneficiary must fill in ‘Verify identity: citizen’ (sometimes known as form ID1). You’ll also need to complete the form if you’re transferring the property and you’re not the executor.

Send all the completed forms and supporting documents to HM Land Registry.

If you sell the property to a third party

You need to:

  • transfer the ownership of the property
  • provide the buyer with an official copy of the probate or letters of administration

Find us

Southwark Carers
3rd Floor, Walworth Methodist Church,
54 Camberwell Road, London, SE5 0EW
View map and directions

Contact us

020 7708 4497

Find us

Nearest tube: Elephant & Castle underground station (Northern and Bakerloo lines).

Nearest Railway Station: Elephant & Castle

Buses from Elephant and Castle: ask bus driver for Burgess Park. Bus numbers: 12, 171, 148, 176, 68, 484, 42, 40, 45