Carers Personal Budgets
The Carers Personal Budget is a one-off payment that aims to give you a break.
How the Carers Personal Budget can help you
You can use the money to pay for activities that will give you time for yourself and the chance to pursue your own interests. For example, you can:
- enjoy more leisure or social activities
- take part in education or training courses
- improve your health and well-being.
You can’t use your Carers Personal Budget to:
- pay for everyday living expenses such as food shopping, heating, lighting, council tax, rent or mortgage payments.
Who is eligible
To be eligible for the Carers Personal Budget you must be:
- over 18
- providing ‘regular and substantial care’ for someone who is ill or disabled, or has a mental health or substance misuse problem
- The person you’re caring for must live in Southwark but you don’t have to live with them.
How much you could get
We will take your individual circumstances into account when we work out how much your Carers Personal Budget will be.
Not everyone gets the same amount, and it won’t necessarily cover everything you want. We need to make sure that the decisions we make about awards are consistent, fair and based on need.
The Carers Personal Budget is usually limited to one per year. The payment is non-taxable and will not be taken into account for benefit purposes.
How to apply
You can only get a Carers Personal Budget once we have looked at your circumstances. We do this through a carers assessment:
Click link and save a copy to your computer